Levels of award
The Civic Trust Awards scheme annually presents a range of Special Awards, Awards, Commendations and Community Recognitions to successful projects.
Special Award, Award and Commendation winners receive a Civic Trust Awrds plaque for permanent display at the site of the winning project together a certificate.
There are no entry categories, all schemes are considered on their own merits and those that are deemed to be of Award standard are then also considered for one of our Special Awards, such as Sustainability, Community Engagement etc.
All organisations involved in winning projects are invited to the Awards Ceremony and representatives from each winning scheme are presented with the plaque and certificate on stage.
Awards are given to projects that make an outstanding contribution to the quality and appearance of the built environment. Award level schemes must demonstrate excellence in architecture or design, sustainability, inclusive design and provide a positive social, cultural, environmental or economic benefit to the local community.
Commendations are given to projects that make a significant contribution to the quality and appearance of the built environment. Commendation level schemes must demonstrate a good standard of architecture or design, sustainability, inclusive design and provide a positive social, cultural, environmental or economic benefit to the local community.
Pro Tem Awards/Commendations are available to temporary projects and installations
AABC Conservation Awards/Commendations are available to historic building conservation projects
Special Awards are given to schemes which demonstrate excellence in a specific field. All projects of Award standard are considered for each of the Special Awards by National Panel members who determine the individual winners. Winners receive a customised Special Award Plaque and framed certificate in addition to their Civic Trust Awards Plaque and framed certificate.
Special Award categories in 2014 were:
- Special Award for Brick - presented to an exemplar project that demonstrates excellence in overall design and construction utilising brick sponsored by Derwent London
- Pro Tem Special Award - presented to an exemplar temporary structure or installation sponsored by Metropolitan Workshop
- Michael Middleton Special Award - A memorial and tribute to Michael Middleton CBE, who established the Civic Trust Awards in 1959. This award is presented to a conservation project or new build within a conservation area, selected from the year’s group of winning schemes.
- National Panel Special Award - Selected by National Panel Members as their favourite scheme from the year’s Award winning projects.
- Selwyn Goldsmith Award for Universal Design - selected from the year’s projects which has demonstrated excellence in providing a scheme which is accessible for all users, from people with decreased mobility, to parents with small children, to people with sensory impairments and everything in-between.
- Special Award for Community Impact & Engagement - Presented to a scheme that has demonstrated how successful community engagement can help deliver the highest standards of design whilst meeting the needs of local people.
- Special Award for Sustainability - Presented to a scheme that has demonstrated excellent sustainability credentials.
- Special Award for Scotland - Supported by The City of Edinburgh Council and Glasgow City Council, presented to an Award winning project from Scotland, chosen by National Panel members to ensure impartiality.
For more information on how to sponsor a Special Award, please email us
To purchase additional plaques, certificates, commemoative desktop awards and winners brochures please visit our online shop. Plaques, certificates and commemorative awards can be customised to feature your organisation and role in the project.