Levels of Awards
The Civic Trust Awards scheme annually presents a range of Special Awards, Awards and Commendations to successful projects.
Special Award and Award winners receive a Civic Trust Awards plaque for permanent display at the site of the winning project and certificate. Commendation winners receive a commemorative desktop award and certificate.
We have 3 entry categories - Civic Trust Awards, AABC Conservation Awards and ProTem Awards (for temporary buildings/structures). Projects can be entered separately into both the Civic Trust Awards and AABC Conservation Awards should all criteria requirements be met,
All schemes are considered on their own merits, with winning projects are also considered for one of our Special Awards, such as Sustainability, Community Engagement etc.
All organisations involved in winning projects are invited to the Civic Trust Awards Ceremony with a representative from each winning project presented with the plaque/desktop award and certificate on stage.
Awards - Projects that make an outstanding contribution to the quality and appearance of the built environment. Award level schemes demonstrate excellence in architecture or design, whilst being sustainable, accessible and provide a positive civic contribution.
Commendations - Projects that make a significant contribution to the quality and appearance of the built environment. Commendation level schemes demonstrate a good standard of architecture or design, whilst being sustainable, accessible and provide a positive civic contribution.
Pro Tem Awards/Commendations are given to temporary projects and installations
AABC Conservation Awards/Commendations are given to historic building conservation projects
Special Awards are given to schemes which demonstrate excellence in a specific field. All projects of Award standard are considered for each of the Special Awards by National Panel members who determine the individual winners. Winners receive a customised Special Award Plaque and certificate in addition to their Civic Trust Awards Plaque and certificate.
2019 Special Awards:.
- National Panel Special Award - Selected by National Panel Members as their favourite scheme from the year’s Award winning projects.
- Selwyn Goldsmith Award for Universal Design - selected from the year’s projects which has demonstrated excellence in providing a scheme which is accessible for all users, from people with decreased mobility, to parents with small children, to people with sensory impairments and everything in-between sponsored by Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- Special Award for Community Impact & Engagement - Presented to a scheme that has demonstrated how successful community engagement can help deliver the highest standards of design whilst meeting the needs of local people.
- Special Award for Sustainability - Presented to a scheme that has demonstrated excellent sustainability credentials sponsored by Derwent London
- Michael Middleton Special Award - presented as a memorial and tribute to Michael Middleton CBE, who established the Civic Trust Awards in 1959, to an outstanding restoration project or new build within a conservation area
- Special Award for Infrastructure - presented to an exceptional new or upgraded major infrastructure project that has transformed the civic realm. Eligible projects include major engineering or infrastructure projects such as bridges, tunnels, coastal defences, dams and flood defences which have a civic realm dimension and have had a demonstrable qualitative effect upon their context and environment.
For more information on how to sponsor a Special Award, please email us