Levels of Awards
The Civic Trust Awards scheme annually presents a range of Special Awards, Awards and Commendations to successful projects.
Special Award and Award winners receive a Civic Trust Awards cast plaque for permanent display at the site of the winning project and certificate.
Commendation winners receive a commemorative desktop award and certificate.
Please ensure that you enter your scheme into the correct category when applying. When have 3 entry categories - Civic Trust Awards, AABC Conservation Awards and ProTem Awards (for temporary buildings/structures) Projects can be entered separately into both the Civic Trust Awards and AABC Conservation Awards should all criteria requirements be met,
All schemes are considered on their own merits and those that are deemed to be of Award standard are then also considered for one of our Special Awards, such as Sustainability, Community Engagement etc.
All organisations involved in winning projects are invited to the Civic Trust Awards Ceremony with a representative from each winning project presented with the plaque and certificate on stage.
After regional judging has taken place, the years National and International Awards and Commendations are chosen by the Civic Trust Awards National Panel. This is a representative group of experts who firstly uphold the integrity and ethos of the Civic Trust Awards, but are also required to make the final decision on the level of awards to be given, ensuring national (and international) consistency.
This year's National Panel Members;
Keith Williams (Chair)
Iain Tuckett MBE
Aileen Wiswell MBE
Awards are given to projects that make an outstanding contribution to the quality and appearance of the built environment. Award level schemes must demonstrate excellence in architecture or design, sustainability, inclusive design and provide a positive social, cultural, environmental or economic benefit to the local community.
Commendations are given to projects that make a significant contribution to the quality and appearance of the built environment. Commendation level schemes must demonstrate a good standard of architecture or design, sustainability, inclusive design and provide a positive social, cultural, environmental or economic benefit to the local community.
Pro Tem Awards/Commendations are available to temporary projects and installations
AABC Conservation Awards/Commendations are available to historic building conservation projects
Special Awards are given to schemes which demonstrate excellence in a specific field. All projects of Award standard are considered for each of the Special Awards by National Panel members who determine the individual winners. Winners receive a customised Special Award Plaque and certificate in addition to their Civic Trust Awards Plaque and certificate.
2017 Special Awards:
- Pro Tem Special Award - presented to an exemplar temporary structure or installation.
- National Panel Special Award - Selected by National Panel Members as their favourite scheme from the year’s Award winning projects.
- Selwyn Goldsmith Award for Universal Design - selected from the year’s projects which has demonstrated excellence in providing a scheme which is accessible for all users, from people with decreased mobility, to parents with small children, to people with sensory impairments and everything in-between sponsored by Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- Special Award for Community Impact & Engagement - Presented to a scheme that has demonstrated how successful community engagement can help deliver the highest standards of design whilst meeting the needs of local people.
- Special Award for Sustainability - Presented to a scheme that has demonstrated excellent sustainability credentials sponsored by Derwent London
For more information on how to sponsor a Special Award, please email us
To purchase additional plaques, certificates, commemoative desktop awards and winners brochures please visit our online shop. Plaques, certificates and commemorative awards can be customised to feature your organisation and role in the project.